We are having a crazy night right now. Wednesdays usually is Italian night at my parent’s house, but no one was in the mood to make anything. I really wanted to share my mozzarella filled meatballs with spaghetti, but I will save that for next week. Tonight I made up one of my favorite “quick and healthy” meals.
I’m just going to call it Bean Heatr Healthy Beans and Rice and you’ll see why:
Things you will need:
– 10 baby carrots
– Fresh or canned artichoke hearts
– 1 can of black beans
– 1 can of white kidney beans
– Chives or Leeks
– Cup of brown rice
– Marinara Sauce
– Tsp of minced garlic
1. I like to get the rice started first because it can take the longest. If you have a rice cooker (which I suggest investing in), put 2 1/2 cups of water in with your brown rice.Chop up your carrots and place them in with your rice. They will steam and cook wonderfully. You can cook the rice the regular way in a pot too if you do not have a rice cooker for about 15-20 minutes covered and on low after letting the water boil.
2. Place your marinara sauce in a pot and place on low heat. This will give you time to cut up the rest of your veggies/open your cans. Start putting the veggies and beans into the pot with the marinara. After about 5-10 minutes place in your garlic and spices. Give it another ten minutes or so to heat through on med heat while stirring occasionally.
3. When rice/carrots are done you can place your sauce mixture on top in a bowl. Feel free to have fun exploring different veggies in this. It’s just a great healthy quick meal that serves at least 4 people. Considering I went back for 2 more servings… What? It’s delicious!
Add some sour cream on top too or some more fresh cilantro on top for color.
Anyways, hope you enjoy!