Summertime makes me think of a couple of main things. The smell of BBQ wafting into the streets as you drive or walk by. Sunscreen white as snow sticking on sections of your face you forgot to rub in. Cold ice tea or lemonade dribbling down thirsty lips and throats. Fire cracker red, white, and blue popsicles in all their patriotic glory. Of course, the one thing I always look forward to is caprese. The room temperature mozzarella clinging to the juicy ripe tomatoes with basil to accent it all into perfection. A wonderful snack, and an even better panini sandwich.
This is the most easy snack or meal you could ever make besides a PBJ.
- 1 large ripe tomato
- large fresh basil leaves
- thick cuts of mozzarella, but if you are watching potions you can use the thin pre sliced at your local market
- olive oil
- 2 slices of your favorite bread. I think pumpernickel would be amazing with this but I lacked it. Whole wheat worked.
- Grilled mushrooms (optional)
1. Make your sandwich with mozzarella, tomato, basil and optional mushrooms.
2. Lightly coat each outer side of the bread with olive oil. You can make it grilled version in a skillet or put it into a panini press.
3. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until you get how you like it cooked.